Regular Season, Interconference Games, Playoffs – An Explanation
The European League of Football expanded to 17 teams for its third season in 2023! With three conferences instead of two, the league will feature even more interconference games than it had over its first two seasons.
The 2023 regular season will look similar to the past season. Please find below a list of guidelines for the upcoming regular season of the European League of Football.
- Every team will play 12 games in a span of 14 weeks
- Every team faces all teams in their conference twice
- All teams of the Western Conference will have two opponents from the Eastern Conference and Central Conference
- All teams of the Eastern Conference and Central Conference will play against one Western Conference Opponent
- Exception: Tirol and Vienna will be the only game between Eastern and Central Teams
- All matchups will be played twice, once at each stadium of the respective teams
- There will be at least one team on a bye week starting in Week 1
In 2023, the European League of Football will expand their playoff format to six teams compared to only four teams in the previous two years. Please find below a list of guidelines for the new playoff format of the European League of Football starting next season.
- Playoffs have been increased from four to six teams
- The three conference champions and three best remaining teams will qualify
- conference champions will be ranked #1 to #3
- The best remaining teams will be ranked #4 to #6
- Seed #1 and #2 will have a first-round bye and automatically move to the semi-finals
- #3 vs. #6 and #4 vs. #5 will be the matchups for wildcard-weekend
- The highest remaining seed will have homefield advantage and will play against the lowest remaining seed
- Seeds will be ranked by number of wins
If teams are tied by number of wins, the following tiebreaker will determine standings:
1. Head-to-head matchup***;
2. Points difference in head-to-head matchups***;
3. Points scored in head-to-head matchups***;
4. Pointes scored at away games of head-to-head matchups***;
5. Total points difference;
6. Total points scored;
7. Points scored at away games;
8. Coin toss performed by the Commissioner, or a person determined by the Commissioner.
*** Only applicable, if a head-to-head matchup has taken place between all European League of Football teams remaining to be decided.